The deadline to register was extended to Monday, April 18, 2022 at noon.
THERE IS AN IN-PERSON AND VIRTUAL OPTION FOR THIS EVENT. PLEASE BE CAREFUL TO SELECT THE REGISTRATION TYPE YOU WANT. ONLY THOSE REGISTERED TO ATTEND VIRTUALLY WILL RECEIVE THE ZOOM LINK.
Registration and Presentation Timeline:
- Meeting Registration: 7:30 AM - 8:00 AM
- Breakfast served during registration
- Presentation begins at 8:00 AM
- Presentation ends at 9:30 AM
Recertification Credits: 1.5 SHRM/HRCI (Pending)
Topic: The Emerging Field of Coaching; An HR Perspective
Coaching continues to emerge as a powerful tool for helping individuals and teams within organizations reach their highest potential. This 90-minute presentation will review the role of coaching as a development tool within an organization, will demonstrate powerful coaching skills that supervisors and managers can use to promote employee growth, explain how our “parts” impact the ability to grow and develop as effective leaders, and introduce the concept of Team or Relationship Coaching and how it can improve the effectiveness of teams within an organization.
The format of this session will be a combination lecture, demonstration, and attendee interaction where individuals will be asked to practice actual coaching skills. Handouts and worksheets will be provided.
- Overview of Session – Phil Sukenik (5 minutes)
- Coaching within an organization- Marty Malone (10 minutes)
- Coaching Demo – Marty Malone Coaches Alex Seltzer (10 minute)
- Interactive Participant Practice (20 minutes)
- Coaching around “Parts” to increase effectiveness (10 minutes)
- Coaching Demo- Alex Seltzer Coaches Marty Malone (10 minutes)
- Relationship Coaching and Team Development (10 minutes)
- Coaching Demo- Phil Sukenik coaches HRMABC Board (10 minutes)
- Questions (5 minutes)
- Marty Malone (P. Joseph Lehman, Inc. Consulting Engineers)
- Philip Sukenik (Hoss's Steak & Seahouse and long-term member)
- Alex Seltzer (Manpower of Altoona and long-term member)
Presenter Bios: Philip Sukenik, ACC, SPHR, SHRM-SP
Phil served for two terms as President of the Human Resource Management Association of Blair County and one term as the State Council Director for the Pennsylvania State Council of SHRM. Phil has also served in numerous volunteer capacities in support of these SHRM Boards including Program Director, Secretary, and Treasurer for the local chapter and District Director, Deputy Director, and Secretary for PA SHRM. He has served for two years as the committee chairperson for the PA State Conference and 1 year as Chairperson for the State Leadership Conference. Phil was presented with the Blair County Human Resources Person of the Year award in both 2000 and 2006.
Phil graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management and minor degrees in English and Economics. He earned his Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification in 1998 from the Human Resources Certification Institute. In 2014, Phil completed the Professional Coach Certification Program from Duquesne University, an accredited program of the International Coach Federation, earning his designation as a Professional Coach (PC). In 2019, Phil received his Associate Certified Coach certification (ACC) from the International Coach Federation (ICF).
Phil currently serves as Vice President of Operations for Hoss’s Steak and Sea House, Inc., a successful regional restaurant chain headquartered in Duncansville, PA. Hoss’s currently operates 37 restaurants employing 2500 people throughout Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Phil’s primary experience is at the executive and leadership level. His background includes experience in the Hospitality and Manufacturing sectors. Area’s of experience include Operations, Human Resources, Training and Management Development, Organizational Development, Logistics, and Information Technology.
Phil has served as a board member in a variety of community service organizations including Rails to Trails of Central PA, Family Services of Blair County, Blair County Chamber of Commerce, Altoona Symphony Orchestra, Blair County Chamber of Commerce Risk Management Committee, and the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art. He currently serves as a professional member of the Highmark Western Region Advisory Council.With 35 years of business experience, Phil has a sincere desire to help people make a difference in their lives and careers. He earned his designation of Professional Coach from Duquesne University’s Professional Coaching Certification Program and is an ICF credentialed coach (ACC). Phil specializes in Corporate, Leadership and Career Transition coaching.
Marty Malone, B.A., M.B.A., PC
Marty is a dynamic, energetic, and seasoned executive with 30 years of experience in key leadership roles in business development, marketing, brand management, strategic planning, quality and communication management, relationship management, and servant leadership.
He exhibits demonstrated strengths including: Executive Team Leadership, Professional Coaching, Critical Thinking, Strategic Planning, Presentations/Public Speaking, Strategic Marketing, Public Relations, Operations Management, Business Development, Project Management, Human Resources, Client Relationship Development, Professional Corporation Image Development, Persuasive Proposal Writing, and Meeting Management.
Marty has served in leadership roles with P. Joseph Lehman, Inc., Consulting Engineers since 1997. He leads all marketing/business development, brand establishment and management, proposal generation, lobbying, client satisfaction, quality assurance, and public relations. He has leveraged professional relationships, creating effective and attractive teams for project pursuits. His efforts have produced new markets resulting in growth up to 600%. He is also responsible for operations and success of all branch office activity in Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and Charleston, West Virginia. He provides overall guidance for direction of firm and individual team members.
Prior to joining P. Joseph Lehman, Inc., Consulting Engineers Marty was an Executive Manager with Hoss’s Corporation from 1990-1997. He provided overall leadership for seven (7) different locations and experienced the highest growth in the entire chain at his final location. He managed up to 75 employees per location, including management staff. He developed corporate training programs on time management and goal setting.
Marty also spent time in Tokyo, with the Japanese Ministry of Education (Monbusho) as an English Teacher. He was selected by Monbusho as one of 871 US citizens to participate in program. He was responsible for Conversational English programs in three Japanese high schools outside of Tokyo where he developed programs to promote Conversational English at Monbusho Central Office in Tokyo. He also provided private tutoring of Conversational English for students and business executives.
Marty is a graduate of the Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a Masters of Business Administration, with a focus in marketing and research areas in US Product Market Development in Japanese Market. He is also a graduate of The Pennsylvania State University with a Bachelor of Arts Degree where his major study area was Foreign Policy/International Political Science and a minor study area in Business Administration.
- Professional Coach Certification Program, Palumbo Donahue School of Business, Duquesne University
- Leadership Bedford County Program Graduate
- Dale Carnegie Course Graduate
- Sandler Sales Management Training Course
- Professional Presentation Effectiveness Course (Dale Carnegie)
- Veteran Volunteer Professional Coach, James E. Van Zandt VAMC
- Professional Project Management Workshop
- “Writing a Successful Grant Proposal”, Author, Pennsylvania Borough News, Volume 12; Issue 7, p. 34.
- Additional publications include articles on Municipal Engineering, Pennsylvania Borough News
- American Society of Highway Engineers, Altoona Section
- American Society of Highway Engineers, Harrisburg Section
- American Society of Highway Engineers, Pittsburgh Section
- American Society of Highway Engineers, Clearfield Section
- American Society of Highway Engineers, Mid-Allegheny Section
- Marcellus Shale Coalition
- Association of Pennsylvania Constructors
- Preservation Pennsylvania
- Bedford County Chamber of Commerce
- Pittsburgh Airport Area Chamber of Commerce
- Tyrone Chamber of Commerce
- Blair County Chamber of Commerce
- Cameron County Chamber of Commerce
- West Virginia Contractors’ Association
- Southern Alleghenies Planning and Development Commission, Comprehensive Economic Development (CEDS) Committee Member
- The Skills Group, Board of Directors, Executive Committee (Board Chair)
- The Skills Group, Board of Directors, Executive Committee (Board Secretary) (past)
- Altoona Kiwanis, President (past)
- The Sheetz Center for Entrepreneurial Excellence, Board of Directors
- Pennsylvania State University, Altoona Campus, Business Advisory Committee Member
- American Society of Highway Engineers, Clearfield Chapter, Board of Directors
- Altoona Community Theatre, Board of Directors (past)
- Vice Chairperson – Road Use Committee, Marcellus Shale Coalition (past)
- Preservation Pennsylvania, Board of Directors (past)
- Bedford County Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors (past)
- Government Affairs Committee, Bedford Chamber of Commerce, Chairperson
- Blair County Historical Society, President (past)
- Dreams Go On (5013c), Board of Directors (past)
- Pennsylvania Business Central, Top 100 People Finalist
Alex J. Seltzer, SPRH, PC
Alex J. Seltzer, SPHR, PC brings over 30 years of business experience and knowledge to his clients as a Professional Coach. His coaching practice consists largely of people who understand and appreciate what is most important to them, but are too busy dealing with the whirlwind of the work day to get to what is really important.
He currently serves as President and CEO of Manpower, Inc. of Altoona, Pennsylvania, a successful staffing organization with five offices throughout Central PA and Director of Alex Seltzer Coaching, LLC, a coaching and management training organization. Alex earned his certification as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) in 1995 from the Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI).
Inspired to follow his own dreams of leading others to discover and develop to their greatest potential, Alex became certified as a Professional Coach at Duquesne University’s Professional Coach Certification Program. As a time management expert and now a certified professional coach focusing on workload management, he is uniquely qualified to help people who struggle to organize, balance work/life and prioritize on what matters most.
When what you value is taking a backseat to the daily clutter, it is time to contact Alex Seltzer. He offers all new clients a complimentary 30 minute introductory session before hiring him.